Blending Cajun and Marine Corps cultures, A Cajun Life is a compelling tale of love, loss, grief, and recovery. Set in Berwick, Louisiana in the 1930's - 1960's, A Cajun Life is a beautiful coming-of-age story centered around Clovis Chiasson and his son, Jacques. Turner masterfully takes readers into the Pacific theater during World War II as Clovis and his fellow Marines engage the Japanese in the battle of Iwo Jima. The story follows intimate moments in the lives of Clovis, Jacques and other supporting characters as they all learn to live with hardship, overcome prejudice, and survive adversity by capturing the love that binds them together.
A Cajun Life Book Club Questions
8. Like veterans of all wars, World War II veterans continued to fight battles in their nightmares after they returned home. How does Clovis’s PTSD affect his personal relationships? Consider relationships other than the relationship he has with Jacques.
A Cajun Journey Book Club Questions
1. Who’s your favorite character in A Cajun Journey? Why?
2. What are your views on Josephine’s decision to leave Etienne the way she did?
3. Would you have handled Seamus O’Malley’s funeral differently than James? If yes, how? If no, why not?
4. Was James hasty in the decision he made when he left the board of inquiry with the archbishop? Why or why not?
5. Josephine held firm views on how women are treated compared to men by society. What would you have done differently under the same conditions and in the same era regarding her treatment of her daughters compared to her treatment of Pierre?
6. Should Josephine have allowed Pierre to pursue his passion for horses? Why or why not?
7. Was there another way Josephine could have gotten closer to Pierre without allowing him to indulge in his passion for horses?
8. What emotions do you think Etienne Junior experienced when he first saw his mother again?
9. What is your view on beauty pageants? Has the book influenced your view in anyway? If yes, how?
10. What other books did A Cajun Journey remind you of?
11. What characters did you like best? Why?
12. What feelings did this book evoke for you?
13. What songs does this book make you think of? Create a book group playlist together!
14. If you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?
15. Which character in the book would you most like to meet?